I am finding it hard to navigate all the different alternatives for sun protection these days with all the different cancer causing ingredients in traditional sunscreens abound. Recently, I’ve narrowed it down to 3 different lines with new approaches to the sun. First off, I found Institut Esthederm‘s Adaptasun range to be very interesting because they have a number of principles that most sunscreen companies do not abide by. For example, they believe:
- Overexposure to the sun is as dangerous as is its absence-Sun is essential to life because of its heat, its light and its natural anti-depressant action.
- Tanning does not age skin-Photo Cellular skincare protects cells from the attacks of free radicals.
- Tanning is the best protection-On the skin’s surface, melanin pigments absorb some of the solar radiation.
- Adaptation to sun rather than over protection-Completely depriving the skin of sun exposure makes it lose its ability to adapt to the sun, which is tanning.
- Inequality of the skin’s behavior under the sun is not inevitable-With Photo Cellular Skincare, fair skin tans; intolerant skins bear the sun.
- SPF is not a reliable or sufficient indicator-SPF measures the risk of sunburn but not the risk of ageing, nor of photo-sensitisation.
Invisible Zinc‘s line creates a physical barrier between you and the sun. Their products contain no chemical sunscreen, only the reflective zinc oxide, so it’s good for people with sunscreen allergies. It relieves my cancer concerns to know I am not using a chemical sunscreen. In addition, I always have problems blending suncreen with my makeup or other skin care products on my face, and now they have come out with UV Silk Shield Foundation. I will be taking some Invisible Zinc UV Silk Shield on the BFF Beauty trip to Cabo as well!
Lastly, I was lead to powder sunscreens by a wonderful Blue Mercury saleswoman recently. Peter Thomas Roth’s Instant Mineral is a powder sunscreen that can be brushed on even over make up, perfect for summer in the city! I love this product! It stays on a lot longer than moisturizers with SPF and can be worn alone as a cover up or over your skin care products! It is great for oily skin! A+++ I highly recommend!